Popular Posts

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Mind Twisting Subject of Dateing

I was reading a book the other night that really got me to thinking. The book? "Full Frontal Feminism";The Author?Jessica Valenti; My problem? She's right. Valenti's book explains what a true feminist is and that no matter what others say, women need to stand up, speak up and not put up with shit.  I have spent, lets say twenty years and yes I am being kind to myself, trying to figure out why relationships are so difficult and what could possibly be wrong with me. I have discovered in just a few short chapters of this text that,"Hey! It really isn't all my fault." I have made some stupid choices in men, knowing, going into the relationship that it was wrong for me. However, I was taught growing up certain rules and regulations regarding men. If you slept with them you married them, (check out the "saliva-fouled" suckers, in Valenti's book on page 24), if you love them you married them, if you want to be successful at being a woman.....right. I have decided to take Valenti's road and say,"You know what? A man has never made me successful, he has only brought me down. I choose to live and love my own way, no matter what you might think and if you don't like it you can kiss my femmy arse. I wish this book had been available to me years ago, I wouldn't have had to struggle so much with the way I was thinking and the way "they" were. I would have been better off. I am not saying that loving and being in a relationship is not important, I am saying that loving and being in a relationships does not make you important.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Penny,

    I'm glad that you now considered yourself a feminist. Thank you for being so open to talk about it in class; I know that it isn't easy. Like you, I would say that many of us have been in bad relationships or who seek out what we were raised with. I was raised with the ideals that I too can have a job and prepare for myself. I'm very independent, but that did not stop me from getting involved with a young man who was very conservative and very set in his ways. You can see how that turned out :)

    So what do you intend to do now? What have you learned from Valenti?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend over at Nurturecenter.com, an eco-friendly maternity retailer, that would probably be interested in paying you a one time fee of $20 to be listed in your right hand navigation as a Supporter of your website. They could pay you an annual fee of $5 or a one time fee for a simple text listing with hyperlink to their website for their company name.
    Let me know if you are interested or have any other ideas. I also run a baby website at babynoises.com and could exchange links with you too if you want.

    My kids just got out of school so summer has officialy begun, have a great weekend....
    --
    Sincerely,
    Molly Gilroy
    Proud Mother of 4
    "The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness."

    ReplyDelete