Popular Posts

Thursday, January 27, 2011

A slightly odd Generation Gap

     In looking of the cover Generation Me by Jean M. Twenge, Ph.D, I supposed that this book was going to be about men and women and how they relate to each other, going by the picture on the cover. There stood a young woman, I assumed young because nothing seemed to be sagging or wrinkled, with a belly button ring, Ipod or phone in her pocket, jeans just above her goodies and what is suppose to look like a tattoo across her mid-drift. However, when I included the text below, I was even more disappointed, that's right, disappointed. I thought it was going to be another sob story about someone that had their dreams crushed and they would blubber on and on about how life really sucked for them and their parents never treated them right, because they didn't get the love, support, car or education they needed and blah, blah, blah. I was wrong. Granted, I am only three chapters in, but I am finding I like the book. It gets tedious in places, but hey, who am I to judge. I like how much I can relate to what the author is saying, not surprising with my interest in psychology. I am mostly drawn to chapter three, when she talks about how selfish and single minded we are today, it really hit home. I had to admit to myself I am guilty of this myself, we all are if we think about it, not all of us all the time. But we have to admit, if we are in a hurry we are more than likely to not notice the older lady in line with a few groceries at the check out line that we could let go first. We are so busy with our life and ourselves we don't even think to offer her our place or couldn't possibly give up that precious ten minutes.
     I am not going to say I agree with all of what is in the book. I think I liked the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon the best. In this chapter she speaks about how much infuses is placed on self-esteem. School curriculum's have even been made over. You know this is all fine and good. Let's do that. Then let's sit back and watch our world go down the tubes even further than it is. Why do I say this? Because in my opinion we are raising the most irresponsible, unaccountable, wishy washy group of pansies I have ever laid eyes on. I am not just talking about the children in school either, I know people around my age that don't have the sense nor the gumption to get off their tales and help themselves. I think allot of it is laziness but I know most of it is they don't have any idea how to. They have never had to. I know a man that was forty-five years old, that lived with his mother, did not work, spent his days drinking and smoking pot and his mother worked and supported him. Do you know what she would say when defending him. "Well, his father left us years ago and he never learned how to deal with it." Really? I had to tell her that after forty-five years, I would think he would have at least learned to do a dish or stand in front of a grill and flip a burger. I did,I was fourteen when I learned, Hardees in Savannah, Missouri Ma am. She didn't come back to the salon. I am wondering if this sense of entitlement also has to do with the crime rates. If we as a people expect all these things that are mentioned. Such as college, the great career, nice clothes, nice car and basically a dream life, who's going to pay for it, if there are no morals, values, lessons or standards learned. I think this is when things are taken, stolen, or why people are killed. I wonder if the thought sometimes crosses these criminals minds that I deserve it more than him or I am more worthy of that. You do have to wonder, Is all this self esteem and self worth helping or hindering. I think it should be a thirty minute lesson each day in class that comes right after the progress report for the day, this includes work and school. I don't know just my opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Penny,

    I am happy that you have decided to explore option two for this post. You provide some great detail that supports your claim about your first held assumptions. I like the detail you include about the cover of the book.

    Now, the second part of the post seems to be a tangent you go on. While I am ok with exploring what the author has said and comparing and contrasting it to your life, the question that you were to address asked you to:

    "After reading the first three sections of GenMe, how has or has not your first held assumptions changed? Draw supporting evidence from either the cover and/or details from the book to support your argument."

    Ms. C
    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I will give you tangent, I do rant and rave some times. I need to work on that. I need to work on dicussing the issue instead of stomping on it. Is that what you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Penny. Sorry for the delay. You may have realized that we aren't using Blogger as much this semester, so I only check in from time to time. However, that is what I mean. While your opinion is important, what you need to do now that you are moving on in your educational career is construct a rhetorical argument. For instance in my first comment to this post, I asked about your first held assumptions -- tell us what you assumed about this book. From the cover, what did you think it was going to be about? From the excerpt on the back of the book, what did you think it was going to be about? BUT I ask you to draw supporting evidence from the book. What evidence can you draw here? I hope that you see that you are providing your interpretation or opinion, but you are supporting it with evidence.

    ReplyDelete